Sunday, February 17, 2013

Chicken, Bacon and Cheese

Well, it's quite chilly in Charleston this weekend, so I like to get down with my crockpot. I decided to try something new from my crockpot cookbook. I added some roasted fresh green beans for good measure. Read below to see the results.

Crockpot Chicken, Bacon and Cheese (from my slowcooker cookbook)

~1lb. chicken breast tenders
1/3 cup teriyaki sauce
1/4 cup ranch dressing
12 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 tbls. olive oil

Add olive oil to the bottom of the crock and place chicken on top. Mix the teriyaki sauce with the ranch dressing and pour over chicken. Next add the cheddar cheese on top and in between chicken. Add the bacon crumbles on top. I set my crockpot on high for about 2 hours checked on it and then turned it down to low for about 1-2 more hours. Adjust this according to what kind of chicken you are using.



I served with roasted green beans.


No leftovers remained, but see my notes below on how I would change things for next time.

Notes: the olive oil was completely unnecessary for the chicken. It was very moist by itself with the sauce and the oil was just surrounding. I would certainly omit that next time. Our other major complaint about the recipe was the salt. It was way too much for our taste. The flavors were great, but the salt was overpowering (for us). My changes would include low-sodium bacon (and possibly a lot less bacon) and some kind of low sodium teriyaki sauce...it has a high sodium content. You can serve this with rice or whatever you like. I would try it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment