Monday, January 28, 2013

Red Beans and Rice Monday

So I am still working on this ham. Time to make some red beans and rice.

Husband said, "you've never made red beans and rice??" Well, I have eaten a lot of red beans and rice, but technically NO, I have never made my own. So time for the tradition to make it to my kitchen!

Red Beans and Rice (trial)

1 green pepper, diced
1 onion, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
2 cans kidney beans
2 cups chicken broth/stock
about 1 cup or so cooked ham, diced
2 tbls. creole seasoning (aka Tony's)
rice

sour cream, if you like

Prep your vegetables, etc. and put in the dutch oven. Saute for about 7-10 minutes until slightly soft. Drain and rinse kidney beans. Add all other ingredients to the dutch oven but the rice. Simmer for about 30-45 minutes stirring occasionally. Prepare rice.


Serve red bean concoction over rice...and maybe with a dollop of sour cream. Positive reviews and full tummies.


I will probably continue to tweak this recipe. I think a little thicker would suit our taste, but it was a great start. Also, this is relatively spicy. It was fine for me (I definitely like spice), but the Tabasco fiend added his usual extra spice.

No comments:

Post a Comment