Friday, July 26, 2013

Southern Summer Succotash

I bought some local (John's Island) butter beans at the farmer's market a week or so ago and I decided to make some succotash. Yum. Here's my take on this classic southern dish. You could pair it with just about any meat or eat it plain. It's good! Cheers to the summer!!

Southern Summer Succotash:

2 cups of fresh, local butter beans (frozen could work, but will take longer or lima beans)
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 medium onion, diced
2 pats of butter (or you could probably sub EVOO here)
1/2 16oz. bag frozen corn (I didn't have fresh, but that would be awesome)
cayenne pepper, to taste
1 small jalapeno, diced (from our backyard garden!)
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste

Grab a medium saute/frying pan. Over medium heat add the butter and melt. Add your red pepper and onion. Saute for about 5-7 minutes.


Add garlic, saute 2 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir. Add corn and cayenne. Saute 7 more minutes. Add butter beans. I think we like ours a little more done, so about 20-25 minutes simmer on med-low heat, stirring every now and then.


About the fresh butter bean prep: I soaked the beans in water for about 12 hours. I then pre-boiled them for about 20 minutes. I knew this would be crucial to the succotash cook time in the end. (If you like yours more al dente, then adjust accordingly.)


Results: So delicious! I love fresh vegetables. Husband added usual Tabasco, but I just ate it up with a spoon! Literally. Always a favorite around here. Bonus: Healthy! To give it extra pizzazz, maybe add some fresh rosemary on top or a little basil! Next time! I love homemade succotash. Enjoy friends.



No comments:

Post a Comment