Thursday, July 4, 2013

4th of July Baked Beans

Caveat: I do not like baked beans. Nor does my brother. We are from the Deep South. Discuss.

Like a good sport/wife I gave these a whirl for a little backyard grill-out.

I have to say...and I don't want to...I kind of like them...dom. dom. dom. My mom would never believe this. Our guests loved them and husband ate all the leftovers. I can honestly say that they smelled delicious in the oven. I may have to come over to the dark side of life: the baked bean side.

4th of July Baked Beans

1 small red pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 large onion, diced
yellow mustard, ~2 tbls. or so
2 jalapenos, seeded and minced
1/2 cup BBQ sauce (eyeball)
1/4 cup pressed brown sugar
1/8-1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 large can and 1 regular can Pork and Beans
slab of bacon (we'll talk about this later)
pepper
Tabasco

Add 3-4 slices of torn bacon to a dutch oven over medium heat.


Chop all your veggies and add them in. Let the vegetables sweat for about 5-7 minutes (they will cook more later).

Mix all the rest of your ingredients into the pot and let this simmer for about 10 minutes.



Transfer everything to a lightly sprayed baking dish and top with slices of bacon. Preheat oven to 325.


We are going to slow cook these beans. Slide these in the oven on the middle rack and cook for about 2 hours. Let them stand for about 5-10 minutes and dig in!!

As I said before, I DO NOT LIKE baked beans. These are good!!!

recipe cred: Pioneer Woman's baked beans (with adjustments and a much smaller serving)
Servings: 6-8
I think next time I make this recipe I will add a tablespoon or so of Worcestershire sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment