Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Pesto from the Garden

We have started our own little garden on Stocker Dr. and hope to use lots of the goodies that it will produce. First up! Fresh basil used for our very own pesto. This is easy and delicious. Of course I would recommend using your own fresh basil, but I guess store bought would do. Use to marinate chicken, veggies or your favorite pasta!!

Pesto

2 cups fresh basil (homegrown!!)
juice of half a lemon
2-3 tbls. pine nuts
olive oil
3 cloves garlic
salt and pepper
pecorino romano

Wash the basil leaves and dry on a paper towel.




 our basil plant was going crazy at first with plenty of healthy and fragrant leaves!

Put all the ingredients (except olive oil and cheese) in a food processor and pulse/blend until combined. Next grate the cheese into the food processor reservoir. Then add the olive oil in a slow stream while on low. I used a healthy amount...maybe 1/4-1/2 cup olive oil. I can't remember. Sometimes that's the trouble with my cooking. I never write things down. I just go. Store in a mason jar in the fridge.




This smelled amazing and topped chicken wonderfully. Next time I plan to do a pasta dish. We can't wait for the basil plant to make more!

No comments:

Post a Comment