Sunday, March 3, 2013

Chicken Fajitas

Oh gosh, I love me some fajitas. Also, the husband really enjoys mexican food. We decided to try this oven version I have seen many times on different websites/blogs.

Chicken Fajitas:

1-1/2 lbs. chicken cut into strips
1 red pepper, cut into strips
1 bell pepper, cut into strips
1 yellow pepper, cut into strips
1 onion, chopped
2 cans Rotel (again the HOT version)
tortillas

Sauce: (I just guessed with the spice measurements)
2 tbls. vegetable oil
garlic powder
chili powder
pepper
cumin
cayenne (if you like the spice)

Preheat oven to 400. Start by spraying a large baking dish. Arrange the chicken in the bottom. Next top it with the peppers and onion.



Drain the Rotel cans and spread out on top of the vegetables. Combine all the sauce ingredients in a small mixing bowl with a whisk. Drizzle this on top of everything. Toss everything to combine (I omitted this step before putting the dish in the oven and everything was fine). Place in the oven uncovered. Toss the fajita filling every ten minutes (I used some salad tongs). Bake for about 45 minutes depending on your oven. After about 40 minutes we covered the dish with foil and gave it about another ten minutes. Use your judgement on how well you like your vegetables cooked and how thick your chicken pieces are.



Serve with the tortillas. I dressed my fajita with some shredded cheese, juice of a lime wedge and a dollop of sour cream.


The husband and I both had 2 and have enjoyed the leftovers immensely. This was definitely a hit! Note: This was spicy the way I made it...so beware. To dial back the spice, just use regular Rotel and omit the cayenne in the sauce. I also highly recommend squeezing a lime wedge over your fajita...it gives it that something special. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment